Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Freedom of Information

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 applies to all Victorian municipalities and provides individuals and organisations with a general right of access to information held by the Glenelg Shire Council subject to legislated exemptions. The Act also provides a right of appeal if access to the requested information is refused.

Freedom of Information Statement

Please refer to Council's Freedom of Information Statement which describes our powers and functions, the documents and information we keep and the ways you can get access to them.

Freedom of Information Statement available below.

How do I make a request?

Freedom of Information requests must be in writing and addressed to:

Freedom of Information Officer
Glenelg Shire Council
PO Box 152
Portland Vic 3305

A fee of $28.40 must accompany the request. This fee is not refundable although you may apply to have the fee waived.

All requests should contain sufficient information to enable the requested document(s) to be identified. This should include the approximate date range for the requested document/s.

The request should contain your address and contact details. The Council will respond to you in writing as soon as possible but no later than 30 days after the day your request was received.

Freedom of Information enquiries should by directed to the FOI Officer on 03 5522 225 or email

Freedom of Information Request Form available below.

What if my Freedom of Information application is refused?

If you are refused access to document(s), or are not satisfied with the action or decision taken by the FOI Officer under the Act, you have a right to apply for a review of your original request:

A request for review must be submitted in writing and addressed to:

Chief Executive Officer
Glenelg Shire Council
PO Box 152
Portland Vic 3305

The request for a review must be received within 28 days of the date of the letter containing the decision of the FOI Officer was sent to you. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of this review you may lodge a further review with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

For more information, visit the Department of Justice's Freedom of Information website at

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by