Event Organiser's Help Page

A crowd of people at a festival

The level of planning needed for individual events can differ greatly.

If you are planning to host an event in the Glenelg Shire on private or public land we recommend reading through all of the below information boxes to understand what permits and applications may be required. For more detailed information, please refer to our Event Management Guidelines.

Event applications and all supporting documentation must be received no less that three months prior to your event date. 

If you wish to discuss your event, what your event may need to complete and how Council can help, please contact our events unit.

Glenelg Shire is home to an exciting array of events celebrating the unique character and history of our communities and the wonderful people who live in them. These events make an immeasurable contribution to the social fabric of the Shire, as well as supporting our local economy by stimulating economic activity and attracting visitors to the region.

Please take the time to go through each section for information that may assist in planning your event.

Event Application Form

If you are planning to use Council owned or managed land for any purpose, including private (e.g weddings) or public events you will need to complete a permit application for use of land. 

There are two types applications that can be submitted. The size and risk of your event will determine the type of event permit application required. If you are unsure of which application you should complete for your event, contact our events unit who will talk to you about your event to help determine which application to complete. 

Event Permit Application(PDF, 983KB)

Special Event Permit(PDF, 160KB)

Applications must be submitted with supporting documentation 3 months prior to the date of the proposed event via email to locallaws@glenelg.vic.gov.au

Some events will require forms to be lodged 6 months in advance. 

For larger complex events, we require the application 6 months in advance. We highly recommend speaking to our events unit if you are planning a complex event. 

If your event is due to take place in less than 6 months please contact our events unit to discuss. 

Victorian Guidelines for Planning Safe Public Events

These Victorian Guidelines have been developed through the collaboration of multiple agencies to present best practice for event organisers and agencies involved in the planning of events within Victoria.

They are designed to present basic guides and safety measures that an event organiser is required to consider when planning an event. This document contains a broad range of topics and guides, from risk assessment tools to check-lists, to ensure event organisers engage with all relevant stakeholders and create a safe and well managed environment for all parties to enjoy.

Download the guidelines here

Guided Event Planning Tool

Business Victoria have developed a guided planning tool to help anyone organise an event or festival in Victoria. It brings together up-to-date resources and information on each step of the process; from the permits you may need to apply for to available grants and support - making it easier for anyone to plan and gain approval to run a safe and successful event. 

By answering a few questions about your event you will be provided a task list to download that will give you contacts in approving organisations. If you would like to discuss your task list with our events officer we encourage you to contact events@glenelg.vic.gov.au to make a time to catch up. 

Business Victoria Guided Event Planning Tool 

Event Planning Templates

The below templates are provided as a guide only. Event organiser's should develop documents specific to their event. 





Temporary Road Closures or Filming on Roads

To hold an event or to film on a road in Victoria, you will need permission from either VicRoads or Council. 

VicRoads is responsible for the management of all major roads and freeways in Victoria (except tollways). If your event will impact a major road you will need to apply for a permit from Vic Roads. Applications to Vic Roads are required to be submitted 60 days before the event date. For further information on the the VicRoads process, and to complete an application, head to the website below. 

VicRoads Events webpage

Glenelg Shire Council are responsible for all local roads and laneways. If your event will impact a local road or laneway then you need to complete an Application for Temporary Road Closure.

Glenelg Shire Application for Temporary Road/Lane Closure permit

To determine the status of the road involved in your event or filming refer to the Map of Declared Roads


Places of Public Entertainment (POPE)

If you are organising a public entertainment event, you may need to obtain a POPE Occupancy Permit for a place of public entertainment from the Municipal Building Surveyor.

A POPE Occupancy Permit is required for:
A ‘place of public entertainment’ is defined as an area greater than 500m2 which is used for public entertainment and is either:

  • Enclosed or substantially enclosed; or
  • Is a paid admission event.

Examples of such events include football finals and grand finals run by the competition’s association, open air concerts, and agricultural shows.

A POPE occupancy permit is required for these events irrespective of whether they are conducted by a community-based organisation or a commercial business.

An application can take up to 30 business days to assess. We ask that you please ensure you make an application well in advance of your event. 

Click here to download the POPE application form(PDF, 391KB).

Exemptions for Community-based organisations and casual events in outdoor places

In addition to regular sporting or social activities, many community groups use parks, playing fields and other outdoor facilities to hold one-off events and activities. These may include sporting activities, cultural festivals, fetes and community markets.

Where council facilities are used for these events, organisers must obtain a permit from the local council authorising and setting out the terms and conditions for the use of the facility.

In other cases, e.g. where these events are held at a school, permission must be obtained from the school council or principal.

Community-based organisations using outdoor recreational facilities greater than 500m² (without temporary structures) for these events are exempt from the requirement to obtain a POPE occupancy permit if the number of persons in the place at any one time during the event or activity does not exceed 5,000.

Temporary Structures (Marquees/Stages/Seating Stands etc)

The exemption to obtain a POPE occupancy permit does not exempt the requirement to obtain an occupancy permit (from the VBA) for a prescribed temporary structure or siting approval from the relevant council.

Section 3 of the Building Act defines prescribed temporary structure as including a temporary structure in a prescribed class of temporary structures. The Regulations provide that the following are prescribed classes of temporary structures:

  • Tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m²
  • Seating stands for more than 20 persons
  • Stages or platforms (including sky borders and stage wings) exceeding 150m² in floor area
  • Prefabricated buildings exceeding 100m² other than ones placed directly on the ground.
Safety Officer

A safety Officer may be required to be present as a condition of your occupancy permit. The safety Officer you engage must either hold a Safety Training Qualification in accordance with Regulation 1105 of the Act, or have qualifications/experience in emergency management (i.e CFA, SES etc).

The MFB conducts a ‘Safety Officer - In a Place of Public Entertainment’ course that provides the appropriate qualifications. Where an alternative person is nominated, details of their qualifications and experience (CV/Resume) are required to be submitted for assessment and approval.

First Aid at your Event

Event organisers or local councils planning or approving an event generally need to engage first aid services as part of the event’s provision. As of 1 October 2021, all commercial first aid services in Victoria were required to be licensed (regardless of whether they use volunteers).

As an event organiser, you should ensure that the first aid service contracted to the event is licenced. Having a licenced first aid service is important to ensure the provision of quality and safe patient care.

Download the FAQs to find out what you need to know about First Aid at your event. 

Frequently Asked Questions about engaging a First Aid provider(PDF, 181KB)

For more information, including a list of registered providers head to the Department of Health Website 

Event Waste Management

Glenelg Shire provides the Waste Wise Events trailer for community events held within the Shire.

The trailer contains 6 waste bins, 6 recycling bins and bin caps which may be borrowed free of charge by event organisers to provide waste and recycling bins at community events.

Event Organisers can book the Waste Wise Trailer free of charge (subject to availability) by completing the online form booking form

If you require further information, please contact the Resource Management Officer on (03) 5522 2308.

Water for Events

Wannon Water provide portable drinking water refill stations, dispensers and recyclable paper cups for eligible community events as a zero cost alternative to purchasing bottled water. It’s part of their Ripple Effect community grants and sponsorship program and builds on their commitment to go beyond water for strong communities.

Wannon Water invite community groups to apply at any time throughout the year for:

  • A loan of our portable drinking water refill stations
  • A loan of our 19-litre drinking water dispensers
  • A supply of recyclable paper cups

Applications must be submitted six weeks prior to your event date and will be reviewed by Wannon Water within a reasonable timeframe depending on the number of applications.

Wannon Water - Water for Events website

Add your event to Council's Events Calendar

Our Glenelg Shire Website online calendar of events is a great way to market your event for free. The calendar is accessed and shared by multiple Tourism Operators,  accommodation providers and community organisations.

In addition Council can also add your event to the Australian Tourism Data Warehouse (ATDW) which is Australia’s national platform for digital tourism information on Australia. By listing a product in the ATDW database, your events may benefit from being listed on ATDW’s extensive network of tourism distributors including Great Ocean Road Regional Tourism and Visit Victoria.

Application to add an event to Council Website

Event Signboards

Promote your event on one of our town entrance signboards.

Event signboards are situation at:

Portland - Henty Highway town entrance and Portland-Nelson Road entrance

Heywood -Town entrance North (Football Oval) and South (Edgar St & Barclay St intersection)

Casterton - Mt Gambier Road (opposite Secondary College) and Portland Casterton Road (Council depot)

Nelson - Portland-Nelson Road (opposite the road house)

Download and complete one of the below forms and follow the instructionson the form for submitting your application. 

Events-Signboard-Registration-Form-Portland-and-nelson.pdf(PDF, 165KB)

 (PDF, 165KB)Events-Signboard-Registration-Form-Casterton.pdf(PDF, 113KB)

Events-Signboard-Registration-Form-Heywood.pdf(PDF, 104KB)

Forms must be submitted to Council for approval of inclusion prior to boards being made as installation is dependent on existing bookings and availability. It is the responsibility of the event organiser to arrange the board at their expense. The installation is free of charge.

Installation of boards can only be completed by Council staff. Community members must not install boards.

Bentinck Street Banners

Do you have a banner to promote your event? Permission from the Local Laws Unit is necessary to display your banner on the Bentinck Street fence in Portland.

To arrange permission for your banner, download our Placement of Signs Form(PDF, 217KB).
Once you have completed the form,  save it and return it via email to LocalLawsAdmin@glenelg.vic.gov.au .

Healthy Event Catering

Have you considered including healthy food options at your event?

Below are some links that will assist you when deciding the best options for your event. 

Australian Guide to Healthy Eating 

Healthy Eating for Adults 

Healthy Eating for Kids

Healthy snacks on the go Ebook



One and All Inclusive Events Program

We encourage you to improve accessibility to your event by becoming a One and All Inclusive Event.

More details can be found in the Checklist(PDF, 3MB) and the Events Program(PDF, 7MB).