Event and Festival Organisers Help Page

A crowd of people at a festival

Glenelg Shire is home to an exciting array of events celebrating the unique character and history of our communities.

In addition to events run by Council, there are many events held on Council owned or managed land that are organised and delivered by the community.

Below is some information that may assist in planning your event.

Event Application Form

If you are planning to use Council owned or managed land for any purpose, including private (e.g weddings) or public events you will need to complete an permit application for use of land. 

There are two types applications that can be submitted. The size and risk of your event will determine the type of event permit application required. If you are unsure of which application you should complete for your event, contact our events unit who will talk to you about your event to help you determine which application to complete. 

Event Permit Application(PDF, 325KB)

Special Event Permit(PDF, 166KB)

Please return this application, with supporting documentation no less than 4 weeks before the date of the proposed event to via email locallaws@glenelg.vic.gov.au 

COVID Safe Event Planning

Know which rules apply to your event.

The State Government has a dedicated website to provide guidance for business and community event organisers in Victoria. Understand and stay up to date on your safety obligations and responsibilities for planning COVIDSafe events.

Events|Coronavirus Victoria


Places of Public Entertainment (POPE)

If you are organising a public entertainment event, you may need to obtain a POPE Occupancy Permit for a place of public entertainment from the Municipal Building Surveyor.

A POPE Occupancy Permit is required for:
A ‘place of public entertainment’ is defined as an area greater than 500m2 which is used for public entertainment and is either:

  • Enclosed or substantially enclosed; or
  • Is a paid admission event.

Examples of such events include football finals and grand finals run by the competition’s association, open air concerts, and agricultural shows.

A POPE occupancy permit is required for these events irrespective of whether they are conducted by a community-based organisation or a commercial business.

An application can take up to 30 business days to assess. We ask that you please ensure you make an application well in advance of your event. 

Click here to download the POPE application form(PDF, 166KB).

Exemptions for Community-based organisations and casual events in outdoor places

In addition to regular sporting or social activities, many community groups use parks, playing fields and other outdoor facilities to hold one-off events and activities. These may include sporting activities, cultural festivals, fetes and community markets.

Where council facilities are used for these events, organisers must obtain a permit from the local council authorising and setting out the terms and conditions for the use of the facility.

In other cases, e.g. where these events are held at a school, permission must be obtained from the school council or principal.

Community-based organisations using outdoor recreational facilities greater than 500m² (without temporary structures) for these events are exempt from the requirement to obtain a POPE occupancy permit if the number of persons in the place at any one time during the event or activity does not exceed 5,000.

Temporary Structures (Marquees/Stages/Seating Stands etc)

The exemption to obtain a POPE occupancy permit does not exempt the requirement to obtain an occupancy permit (from the VBA) for a prescribed temporary structure or siting approval from the relevant council.

Section 3 of the Building Act defines prescribed temporary structure as including a temporary structure in a prescribed class of temporary structures. The Regulations provide that the following are prescribed classes of temporary structures:

  • Tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m²
  • Seating stands for more than 20 persons
  • Stages or platforms (including sky borders and stage wings) exceeding 150m² in floor area
  • Prefabricated buildings exceeding 100m² other than ones placed directly on the ground.
Safety Officer

A safety Officer may be required to be present as a condition of your occupancy permit. The safety Officer you engage must either hold a Safety Training Qualification in accordance with Regulation 1105 of the Act, or have qualifications/experience in emergency management (i.e CFA, SES etc).

The MFB conducts a ‘Safety Officer - In a Place of Public Entertainment’ course that provides the appropriate qualifications. Where an alternative person is nominated, details of their qualifications and experience (CV/Resume) are required to be submitted for assessment and approval.

Event Waste Management

Effective waste management contributes to the success of any event. 

Glenelg Shire provides the Waste Wise Events trailer for community events held within the Shire. The trailer contains 6 waste bins, 6 recycling bins and bin caps which may be borrowed free of charge by event organisers to provide waste and recycling bins at community events.

You can book the trailer by accessing our online form.

Event Signboards

Do you have an event in the near future? How about creating a sign to be displayed on one of our town entrance signboards. Event signboards are situation at:

  • Portland - Henty Highway (just down from the Learmonth Street intersection) or Portland-Nelson Road (100 metres from the train crossing)
  • Heywood - Town entrance north side
  • Casterton - Mt Gambier Road and Portland Casterton Road

To display your signboard, download our Registration Form and guidelines below. Complete it, save it and return it to council to start the process.

Bentinck Street Banners

Do you have a banner to promote your event? Permission from the Local Laws Unit is necessary to display your banner on the Bentinck Street fence in Portland.

To arrange permission for your banner, download our Placement of Signs Form(PDF, 217KB).
Once you have completed the form,  save it and return it via email to LocalLawsAdmin@glenelg.vic.gov.au .

Healthy Event Catering

Have you considered including healthy food options at your event?

For assistance with healthy food ideas and recipes please refer to the Healthy BBQ Catering Recipes(PDF, 620KB)  and Healthy Catering Ideas(PDF, 482KB) booklets, which were produced as part of the Get Active Glenelg2Grampians project.

One and All Inclusive Events Program

We encourage you to improve accessibility to your event by becoming a One and All Inclusive Event.

More details can be found in the Checklist(PDF, 3MB) and the Events Program(PDF, 7MB).