Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council


Aged and Disability Services

The services offered by our Aged and Disability Services team focus on assisting the frail aged and those with a disability to continue living in their own homes and being actively involved in their community. Our trained staff assist clients in achieving their desired care plan goal, support and encourage clients to have independence by following a Wellness and Reablement/ Active Service Model approach.

Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) Services are available to frail, older people (aged 65 years and over or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) who need assistance with daily living tasks to remain living independently at home.


Keep up to date with the latest news, events and services in our Aged and Disability Sector with our quarterly newsletter.

Winter Newsletter 2021

How can I receive home support (CHSP)?

Referrals can be made by general practitioners and health professionals, community service workers and the families and friends of potential clients. Self-referrals are welcome.

Referrals can be made by phoning My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 between 8am to 8pm on weekdays and between 10am and 2pm on Saturdays.

Referrals can also be made online at the My Aged Care website

The Victorian Government will fund the Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACCPYP). Services are available to people with a disability under the age of 65 years (under 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people).

For more information go to

How can I receive home support (HACCPYP)?

Phone the Aged and Disability Services Unit on - 03 5522 2204 or email for assistance.

An in-home assessment will be conducted by an Assessment Officer prior to service starting.

Clients are required to pay a fee for home support services. A schedule of the fees will be provided to you at assessment. You can at any time contact the office for an up to date schedule of fees.

What kind of help can I get?

You can get assistance with day-to-day tasks with which you may need assistance.

Our services include:

Domestic assistance/Home care: Practical assistance and support with routine household tasks such as vacuuming, mopping, washing, changing beds, shopping and meal preparation where required.

Home maintenance: This safety-focused service includes mowing, whipper snipping and removal of clippings, replacement of smoke detector batteries and light globes.

Personal care: Assistance is provided with personal care including showering, dressing, toileting and medication prompts and monitoring. All staff providing this service have a minimum of Certificate III in Aged Care/Community Care work.

Respite care: Provides carers with respite from their responsibilities and the opportunity for Clients to participate in community, social and family activities.

Delivered Meals/ Meals on Wheels
If you are having difficulty preparing meals because of an illness or disability, this service can assist you by providing nutritional meals delivered to your home as many days as you would like.

Social Support Programs
(Also referred to as Planned Activity Groups PAG)
Council operate Services in Portland (Kurrajong) Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and Heywood (Riverwood) Tuesdays. There are days for Men only, women only and mixed.

Wellness/Reablement Active Service Model Philosophy of Care

Council works from strength based philosophy of care and subscribes to the Commonwealth Home Support Program’s Wellness and Reablement, and the Department of Health and Human Service’s Active Service Model which supports a “doing with not doing for” model of care. This enables clients to maintain or improve their functionality by delivering services that support clients to meet goals set at assessment and recognises that most people want to be able to do things for themselves

Diversity Policy

Aged & Disability Services Unit is committed to the provision of services in a fair, equitable and inclusive manner to all eligible residents within the municipality. ‘Diversity’ encompasses the range of special-needs groups who are specified in Victoria’s current HACCPYP review agreement with the Commonwealth. Diversity addresses the needs of people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people with dementia, financially disadvantaged people and people in remote and isolated areas regardless of faith or spirituality. Other groups who may experience barriers to accessing services, such as those who experience or are at risk of homelessness; gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or intersex (GLBTI) people; and people living with HIV.

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by