Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Home Kitchens / Labelling Guidelines

The preparation of food for sale to the public in domestic kitchens may be permitted; however, preparing food for sale differs from cooking for the family.

A food business is an enterprise or activity involving the storage, preparation and/or sale of food. This may include food business making jams and preservatives, biscuits and cakes, repackaging lollies, or selling fresh produce or eggs.

How do I register my home kitchen?

There are a number of things that you need to do before you can begin operating as a food premises. For example, you need to be registered with Council to operate a food business from home. Please go to Council's Home Kitchen Guidelines for information and requirements on food registration with the Council.

Labelling Requirements

Home Kitchens must also ensure that they abide by the correct labelling laws as there have been comprehensive changes to the Australian and New Zealand Food Standards Code to ensure customers can make informed choices when purchasing food. The Labelling Guidelines highlight a number of relevant labelling requirements for food for retail sale or for catering purposes.

Temporary Food Premises

If you plan to sell your produce from temporary or mobile food premises, such as market stalls, fetes etc., you may also need to register with Streatrader. Please go to our Temporary and Mobile Food Premises for further information on operating temporary or mobile food premises.

Powered by