Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Building Services

The Glenelg Shire Council provides Building Services such as issuing building permits, occupancy permits, final inspection certificates, carrying out mandatory building inspections, contract building inspections, enforcement (Building Notices & Orders), essential safety measure inspections, place of public entertainment occupancy permits, and technical advice in accordance with the Building Regulations, Building Act 1993 and Building Code of Australia.


Municipal Building Surveyor, and team:
Darren Frost - Municipal Building Surveyor (Wednesdays by appointment)
Ian Welch - Senior Building Surveyor
Adam Taylor - Cadet Building Surveyor
Eva Clark - Cadet Building Surveyor

Marc Heeley - Administration Support Officers (Monday- Thursday)
Paige Venning - Administration Support Officers (Monday-Friday)

For all enquiries or inspection bookings please email or call our Building Team on: or
03 5522 2216


Drowning is one of the leading causes of preventable death in young children aged 0 to 5 years, and in Victoria, 40 per cent of drowning incidents in this age group occur in home swimming pools.

To improve child safety in and around pools and spas, Victoria’s Building Regulations changed on 1 December 2019, introducing new registration, inspection, maintenance and compliance requirements for property owners.

From Sunday, 1 December 2019:

  • Compulsory registration of swimming pools and spas commences.
  • Property owners must register their pools and spas with their local council by 1 June 2020 has now moved to 1 November 2020.
  • Pool and spa owners must obtain and lodge a certificate demonstrating the safety compliance of their pool and spa barrier every four years.
  • An appropriately qualified building surveyor or building inspector must carry out an inspection and provide a compliance certificate.

    All pools will need to be registered and inspected. The date that each pool will be required to have an inspection will be dependent upon the year it was built no matter when it was last inspected.

    To register your pool and/or spa with Council complete the registration form.

    Swimming Pool requirements under the Building Regulations 2018

    Self Assessment Checklist Pools and spas installed before 8 April 1991

    Self Assessment Checklist Pools and spas installed between 8 April 1991 and 30 April 2010

    Self Assessment Checklist Pools and spas installed from 1 May 2010

    Fees for Swimming Pool and Spa Registrations

    • Registration of a pool where the age of the pool is known $31.50
    • Search fee for information on age of pool where owner is unaware of age - $47.50
    • Lodgement of certificate of compliance after inspection - $20.00

    Complete the application form and forward to Please ensure that you have included your email address so that a confirmation email can be forwarded with your registration number and the fee payable.

    Once you have received your confirmation email payment can be made in Person at any of Council's Customer Service Centres in Portland Heywood or Casterton or over the phone by calling 03 5522 2182.



    The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) have put out reference notes for a variety of issues that arise regarding building permits, but if you are unsure when you require a building permit please click here and you will be directed to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) Practice Note - When is a building permit required?

    Building Permit Process
    Building Permit Application
    Building Service Fee Schedule

    Planning and Building Permits are different permits and have different purposes. A Planning Permit is for the development and use of the property and any construction and may not always be needed where a building permit is generally always required when constructing, altering, extending or demolishing a building.

    It is highly recommended that you contact Council prior to commencing any building works to ensure that you get the correct information prior to lodging an application.

    Once you have ascertained which permits are required you can submit your application via email to or, in person at any of Council's Customer Service Centres in Portland Casterton or Heywood or via post to Glenelg Shire Council PO Box 152 Portland VIC 3305

    NOTE: If a Planning is required, the Planning Permit has to be issued before the building permit can be issued. Applications for both Planning and Building permits can be applied for at the same time and assessed concurrently.

    Planning Permits

    Contact details for Building and Planning Units:
    Building Department Ph: 03 5522 2216 Email:
    Planning Department Ph: 03 5522 2187 Email:

    Property Information Request

    When you sell your property or are purchasing a property you may require Building permit information to ensure all building works on the property and have been issued either a Certificate of Final Inspection or Occupancy Permit ensuring all works are compliant with the Building Act 1993. Should you require this information or access to building plans or legal point of discharge information please click here for the Property Information Request form. The relevant fee is listed next to the item required ad can be paid when submitting your completed form which should be accompanied by a copy of the property title or written permission from the owner allowing access to the information.


    There have been changes to the process of issuing of Building Permits and collection of the Government Levy. All building permits issued within Victoria will have numbers issued by the Victorian Building Authority.

    Due to the new permit processing Council will no longer be collecting the government levy as part of the building permit application process.

    To ensure that your building permit is processed quickly all documentation should be lodged at the time of submitting your building permit application. This will enable Council to lodge your application details with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA).

    The VBA will then forward an invoice for payment of the government levy to the nominated entity (owner/builder/ applicant if different to owner). Once the levy has been paid the VBA will forward the allocated permit number to Council for issuing all permit documentation relevant to the application.

    Any delays in payment of the Government levy or submission of all relevant documentation will impact the issuing time of the permit from Council as Council can’t issue a permit until the permit number is received from the VBA.

    For more information please click here to read the VBA Fact sheet.


    Asbestos is a fibrous material that has been used in the building industry over many years. The use of this material has now stopped and its removal is often required during development or renovation work.

    Council does not have the power to investigate or enforce any breaches of legislation regarding the removal and disposal of asbestos. There are government bodies that do control these matters and they are EPA (Environment Pollution Authority) Victoria and Victorian WorkCover Authority (WorkSafe).

    EPA Victoria
    EPA Victoria has produced a document regarding the transport and disposal of waste asbestos. This document outlines the method and procedures for transporting and disposal of asbestos. They also control and list the licensed premises to accept waste asbestos.

    WorkCover handles the registration of approved people to transport and dispose of waste asbestos. They also control the working conditions for building sites while asbestos is being removed from a building and the site. This is mainly to deal with Occupation Health and Safety (OHS).

    See the link below Asbestos - A guide for householders and the general public for more helpful information about Asbestos.

    subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
    Powered by