Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Planning Permits
Prior to lodging a planning application, applicants should consider the minimum standards of information required by Council.

Advertised Planning Applications

An advertised planning application is a planning permit lodged with Council that does not yet have approval. It is on exhibition for public viewing. Comments / objections can be submitted for consideration.

Click on the link below to view the advertised planning permit applications.
Current Planning Applications on Notice

What do Planning Permits do?

  • Ensure that any new use or development of land within our Shire is appropriate under the Glenelg Planning Scheme.
  • Consider the impact of any developments on their environment.
  • Use means how the land is used i.e. residential, farming; and
  • Development means what is constructed on the land.

You may need a Planning Permit if you are proposing to:

  • Open a new business;
  • Construct a house/s;
  • Construct a garage/carport/shed;
  • Erect signage;
  • Any external works on a building within our Heritage Overlays;
  • Subdivide land and/or buildings; and
  • Remove native vegetation (including trees and native grasses).

Minimum Information Required

  • "Application for Planning Permit" form completed and signed. Click here (for Google Chrome users, right click and 'Save link as...').
  • Full payment of appropriate application fee. Click Here
  • Current and full copy of title (including title plan) and details of any Restrictive Covenants, Caveats or other restrictions on the title. NOTE: This title must have been searched within the three (3) months prior to submitting the application.
  • “Cultural Heritage Management Plan” form completed and signed.
  • For detailed proposals include a covering letter/submission detailing what is proposed and any relevant history of the site.
  • A copy of your Bushfire Management Statement (where applicable if the site is under a Bushfire Management Overlay).
  • A copy of clear and properly drafted Site Layout and Elevation Plans – generally at a scale of 1:100 or 1:200. For larger sites a scale of 1:500 may be appropriate. All measurements should be in metres or millimetres. NOTE: If submitting larger plans (e.g. A1 or A0), a separate A3 or A4 copy must also be submitted.

Pre Application Meetings

Every planning application is different and needs to respond to the individual site constraints and opportunities.

Prior to lodging a planning application, applicants are encouraged to arrange a pre-application meeting with a Council Planning Officer. This meeting will allow applicants to obtain preliminary advice from Council on their proposal and to confirm the type of information they will need to submit with their application.


Council’s Planning Officer will be able to explain the planning scheme provisions and policy requirements that relate to the proposed development. There may be special conditions that apply to the area, including heritage and vegetation controls. Depending on the level of information provided by the applicant, the Planning Officer should be able to provide an explanation of the likely planning issues that may arise from the development concept.


Every application needs to be considered on its merits and assessed against the provisions of the Planning and Environment Act 1987, the Glenelg Planning Scheme and relevant state and local policies. So while the Planning Officer can provide guidance on the potential issues and overall direction in preparing the application, they cannot provide a definitive ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ answer at this stage.

Council’s Planning Officer is not in a position to offer an alternative to obtaining relevant, independent professional advice in the preparation of a detailed permit application.

Completed Planning Permit Applications can be submitted to Council:

By email
NOTE: by submitting your application by email you consent to receiving correspondance relating to the application via email. Documents relating to the application will be forwarded to the email address provided on the application form.

By Mail
Glenelg Shire Council
PO Box 152
Portland Vic 3305

In Person
At the Portland, Casterton & Heywood Customer Service Centres

If you have any queries regarding the information required, or wish to book a pre-aaplication meeting, please contact Council's Planning Department on 5522 2187 or visit the Council Offices at Cliff Street, Portland, between 8:30am and 5:00pm Monday to Friday.

VicSmart Planning Permit Application

The VicSmart system streamlines the planning process for straightforward planning permit applications.

The Planning Scheme identifies applications that meet specific requirements as VicSmart. These applications go through a simplified assessment and decision processes.

Key features of the VicSmart process include:
• Predetermined required information at submission;
• Exemption from advertising ; and
• A 10 day permit process.

There are 12 application types eligible for the VicSmart process.

External Web Links
For detailed information visit the VicSmart website.

Download files
VicSmart Application Form
VicSmart Applicants Guide

Amending a Planning Permit

Applications can be made to amend and change an existing permit under Section 72 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987
Please note any decision issued by the Victorian Civil & Adminstrative Tribunal cannot be amended.

Request Extension of Time to a Planning Permit

The responsible authority may extend the time if a request is made in writing or by completing the Request Extension of Time to a Planning Permit before the permit expires or thereafter, within the periods allowed by setion 69 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 as below;

- Before the permit expires,
- Within 6 months of the permit expiring,
- Within 12 months of the permit expiring where the development comenced lawfully before the permit expired.

Submission to a Planning Permit Application

  • To make a submission you should clearly complete the details on the front of the Submission to a Planning Permit Application and lodge it with the Responsible Authority as shown on the Notice of an Application for Planning Permit form. If your submission concerns property other than where you live, give details of that property and of your interest in it.
  • To ensure the Responsible Authority considers your submission it should be received by the date shown in the notice you were sent or saw in a newspaper or on the site.
  • If despite your submission the Responsible Authority grants the Permit, you can appeal against the decision. Details of the appeal procedure are set out on the back of the Notice of Decision which you will receive. The closing date for appeals is 21 days after the date the Responsible Authority decides to grant the Permit.
  • If the Responsible Authority refuses the application, the applicant can also appeal. The provisions are set out on the Refusal of Planning Application which will be issued at that time.
  • If this form is insufficient for your submission, attach additional pages.
  • Council is collecting the information on this form in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987. Council must make a copy of this submission available for any person to inspect free of charge under Section 51 of the Act. If you fail to provide this information the Glenelg Shire Council will not be able to advise you of any consultation or decision making forums or the decision regarding this matter, but you may access this information by contacting Council on 55222187.
  • Please be aware that copies of submissions received may be made available to any person for the purpose of consideration as part of the planning process.
  • Withdrawal of Objection to Grant a Planning Permit

Where Can I Obtain A Copy Of Title?

A copy of Title can be obtained from the Land Information Centre. Click on this link to go to the Land Victoria Landata Website

Cultural Heritage Management Plan

The Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 was introduced on 28 May 2007. The purpose of the Act is to provide for the protection of Aboriginal Cultural Heritage in Victoria.
Prior to gaining a planning permit, you must find out if a Cultural Heritage Management Plan (CHMP) is required under the Aboriginal Heritage Act. Click here for more information.

Bushfire Planning Resources

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website contains Bushfire Planning Resources to enable an assessment and submission of your application under the Bushfire Management Overlay .

For more information on these resources click here for a link to the website.

Heritage Places and Heritage Overlay Planning Fees

Council has approved as of 27 May 2014 that all permits for the retention or restoration of Heritage buildings/artefacts no longer require a planning permit fee for works triggered only by the overlays. This is to assist owners to fund the works required to keep our heritage protected into the future. A copy of the adopted Heritage Fee Waiver Policy please click here.

Owners are also able to apply for grants and loans for works on heritage places/artifacts. Please see our Heritage Grant/Loan Scheme page for more details.

Please note planning permits may still be required. To discuss the need for a planning permit or to book a consultation with Council's Heritage Advisor, please phone (03)5522 2187.

Download Forms

Before downloading the forms please ensure you are using Internet Explorer to ensure that they open correctly.

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by