Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Food Premises Information and Forms

Registration of a Food Premises

To register your food business with the Glenelg Shire you must submit the following information to Council:

Completed an Application (available below)
Payment of Registration fee. (Please contact Council for the relevant fee for your Food Premises).
Provide a copy of the current Food Safety Program for your business (Class 1 and Class 2 Premises only). This program will also require you to nominate a qualified Food Safety Supervisor.
Provide a copy of the nominated Food Safety Supervisor’s certificate (Class 1 and Class 2 Premises only).
Submit a floor plan detailing the food preparation areas, food storage areas, cooking equipment (stove & mechanical exhaust system), dishwasher and sinks (hand and dish).

Structural Requirements
All food premises are required to comply with the Food Standards Code. Council has developed the New Food Premises Information Pack to assist you with the necessary information to ensure that your food premises satisfies the legal requirements associated with running a food business.

For a copy of the Food Standards Code, please visit Food Standards Australia New Zealand.

Food Premises Change of Ownership
Due to changes of the Food Act on 1 July 2021, a food registration can no longer be transferred to a person/business purchasing a food premises.
When purchasing an existing food business, the new proprietor must apply for a new Food Premises Registration (form available below) and pay the relevant fee.
The person selling the food premises must contact Council's Environmental Health unit to advise that they are selling the business and to cancel their food registration.

Food Premises Classifications
All businesses, organisations, individuals and community groups selling food or drink in Victoria must be classified according to the highest level of risk their food handling activities pose and follow the Food Act 1984 safety regulations and requirements for your classification, regardless of the type of business or group you are.

Click here to view food classifications:

Home Kitchens & Labelling Guidelines

The preparation of food for sale to the public in domestic kitchens is permitted however, preparing food for sale differs from cooking for the family.

There are a number of things that you need to do before you can begin operating as a food premises.
1. Register with Council to operate a food business from home.
2. Refer to Council's Home Kitchen Guidelines for information and requirements on food registration with the Council.

Home Kitchens must also ensure that they abide by the correct labelling laws, the Australian and New Zealand Food Standards Code, to ensure customers can make informed choices when purchasing food. The Labelling Guidelines highlight a number of relevant labelling requirements.

Community Groups Fundraising Events Food Safety Obligations

If you are a community group, not-for profit body or a person wanting to sell food at community markets or fund raising events such as fates or cake stall, below are the 3 simple steps to follow to ensure you have the information needed to prepare and cook food correctly, store and handle food in the correct manner and the correct registrations/permits to apply for.

1. Watch the video to understand what you need to do
2. Identify the classification for your event
3. Understand, and act on, the obligations that relate to your class of event

Watch the "Do Food Safely" video on Youtube

Community Group Food Fundraisers Information

Food Safety Guide for Community Groups or Mobile Food Premises - Class 2

Food Safety Guide for Community Groups - Class 3

Streatrader - Community Groups and/or Class 4 Food Premises


Temporary or Mobile Food Premises
If you plan to sell your produce from a temporary or mobile food premises, such as market stalls, fetes or mobile food van etc., or you are operating under Class 4 requirements, you are required to register with Streatrader.

Using Streatrader you are required to register and submit a statement of trade prior to your event.

Community Groups - Class 4

This information applies to community groups that:
• sell food solely for the purposes of raising funds for charity
• are a not-for-profit body
• are selling cooked cakes without cream fillings only.

Council's Environmental Health Officer may inspect your stall at any time for a spot check to make sure that food is safe, or if any complaints are received.

Cake Stall Regulations – Class 4

Cake stalls selling only cooked cakes that are packed or covered and do not contain fillings made from fresh cream or uncooked eggs are class 4 temporary food premises.

Class 4 premises may use mock cream fillings, as mock cream does not require refrigeration. They may also sell other baked items, such as biscuits or slices.

Cakes with Cream Fillings

If you plan to sell cakes that contain fillings made from fresh cream or mascarpone, or uncooked eggs (such as tiramisu or mousse), you must contact Council for approval. Different safety rules will apply.

Cakes like the ones mentioned above need refrigeration throughout the food handling process – including during preparation, storage and transport – to keep them safe. If they are not handled safely, it may cause food poisoning which may result in serious illness or even death

Food Safety

Reports of food contamination or poisoning should be report to Council’s Environmental Health Officer so an investigation into the incident can commence. Unsafe or unsuitable food is described as:
•would be likely to cause physical harm to a person
•is damaged, deteriorated or perished
•contains any damaged, deteriorated or perished substance
•contains a biological or chemical agent, or other matter or substance foreign to the nature of the food (e.g. mould, cleaning chemicals or a piece of glass).

Food Poisoning
If you have eaten food from a food premises within the Glenelg Shire and believe you have experienced food poisoning, you should contact Council’s Environmental Health Unit as soon as possible on 5522 2229 or email

The time between eating the food and the appearance of the first symptoms can range from 1 hour to as long as a week or more. This means that the last meal you ate may not necessarily be responsible.

Food does not need to be spoiled to cause food poisoning; it can look, smell, taste fine and still cause food poisoning. An individual can experience one or more of the following symptoms in varying degrees of severity:
•fever and chills
•abdominal pain
•bloody stools
•loss of appetite

Reporting a Food Complaint
If you find something wrong with your food, whether you suspect it has made you ill or it may have some form of obvious physical contamination, you can report it to Council's Environmental Health Unit.

Powered by