Before constructing , installing, altering or using any on-site wastewater management system (septic tank system) a permit must be obtained from Council. This is a requirement under Environment Protection Act 2017 s.46(1).
Council can only approve systems that meet the following criteria;
- Holds a 'Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) Certificate of Conformity'
- Complies with Planning Permits and Planning controls
- Is designed by a suitably qualified Land Capability Consultant, of whom will provide a Land Capability Assessment Report
- Has written operation and maintenance information
- Complies with Environmental Protection Act 2017, Environmental Protection Regulation 2021, Victorian EPA Code of Practice Onsite Wastewater Management 891.4 and MAV Victorian Land Capability Assessment Framework 2014.
In un-sewered areas, Building Surveyors cannot issue a Building Permit until an 'On-site Wastewater Management Permit' has been issued by Council.
Council’s Environmental Health Officers will inspect the property prior to any works commencing to ensure that the proposed system meets the guidelines and legislation . If your property access is restricted, please contact our Environmental Health Unit to make suitable arrangements for Council Officers to undertake the appropriate inspections.
Once the on-site wastewater management system is installed or altered , you will need to submit 'as installed' system layout plans and a 'Plumbing Compliance Certificate' to Council's Environmental Health Unit. If you have installed a Treatment Plant, Sand filter or other alternate system, you will be required to provide a copy of the maintenance agreement with the final layout plan. The owner will be issued with a Certificate to Use once this information has been received and Council's Environmental Health Officers are satisfied the permit conditions have been met.
It is the responsibility of the property owners or occupiers to ensure their septic system is operated, maintained, serviced, pumped out and monitored.