Fire Prevention

Fire prevention is everyone's responsibility.

It's essential that you are prepared in the event of a fire and take precautions to care for your family and safeguard your home.  

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) have a range of resources available on their website including the Guide to Survival and Your Bushfire Plan.

Prepare Your Property

Fire restrictions are put in place to reduce the potential for fires to spread in the community. The CFA will announce the dates of the bushfire season and the fire restriction period every year. 


Fire Prevention Tips

There are many things you can do around your property to prevent fires, such as:
  • Cut or mow any grass that is higher than 10cm.
  • Remove any flammable materials around your home, including cleaning out gutters.
  • Remove dead undergrowth and fallen branches.
  • Store firewood and other flammable materials away from your home.
  • Display your (Council assigned) property number so Emergency Services can find and recognise it quickly.
  • Have a regular maintenance program in place.

Visit the CFA website for more detail on how to prevent Fire on or around your property and learn How to Prepare your Property

Fire Prevention and Infringement Notices

If there are dangerous hazards on your property, or you are in breach of Council Local Laws and Offences under the County Fire Authority Act, you may receive a Fire Prevention Notice or Infringement Notice. It is important for your safety and our Communities safety that you act on the items within the notice promptly. 


Fire Prevention Notices

If there are fuel hazards on your property, we may issue with a Fire Prevention Notice specifying the work required to reduce the risk of a fire starting. Glenelg Shire officers issue these notices to implement fire prevention measures that lessen the risk to property owners and to the community. It is the property owner's responsibility to complete any works required before the completion date stated on the Notice and ensure that they are maintained for the duration of the declared fire season.   A Fire Prevention brochure and list of contractors who provide slashing works can be found at the bottom of this page or at any of the Council's Customer Service Centres.

If you do not understand the Notice or have any questions, you can contact the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer on 5522 2208, but you must do so before the specified completion date. You may wish to discuss:

  • The time required to meet the Notice requirements.
  • The intention of keeping livestock on the property.
  • The intention of cutting hay.

If you do not implement works required by a Fire Prevention Notice,  to prevent potential risk to the community and property owner the Glenelg Shire will arrange for contractors to complete the works at the property owner's expense.  Depending on the circumstances, an Infringement Notice may also be issued, resulting in a fine.


Infringement Notices

Infringement Notices are issued for various offences, including breach of the Glenelg Shire Council Local Laws and Offences under the County Fire Authority Act.
If you receive an Infringement Notice, you can:
  • Pay the infringement.
  • Have the matter referred to Court for consideration, which you must request in writing.
  • Refer the matter to the Glenelg Shire Council Review Panel if extenuating circumstances are surrounding the infringement.
If you have received an Infringement Notice which you believe to be unfair or unjust due to extenuating circumstances and wish to have the infringement reviewed, complete an application for Infringement Review.

Burning Permits

A Permit to Burn is required for open-air burning during declared fire danger periods. You may apply for a permit to burn from the Council's Municipal Fire Prevention Officer. The application form also has a section for CFA approval, which you must get before the Council's consideration. No person is permitted to light a fire in the open air during total fire ban days. Severe penalties (including prosecution) apply for doing so.


Open-air fires within the "Designated Areas" are not allowed without a Permit from Council at any time of year. The List of Schedules outlines Designated Areas. 

If you require a Permit to Burn, please complete the Local Laws Permit form and follow the prompts for Permit to Burn. 

Local Laws Permit