Works Within Road Reserve

Works Within Road Reserve consent must be obtained prior to any works being undertaken within Council road reserves.
This is to ensure that assets within road reserves are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out in the road reserve.

Consent applications are available in the right hand panel of this page or at any Glenelg Shire Customer Service Centre.

When is a Permit Required?

This permit is required if works are being undertaken within our road reserves such as:  

  • Stormwater Drainage and Pit Installations.
  • Vehicle Crossing Construction and Modification.
  • Footpath and Kerbing Replacement.
  • Water Supply and Sewer Connections.
  • Road Works.

How to apply for a Permit

  1. Complete the application form including the proposed start and finish dates.
  2. Payment can be made at any of our Customer Service Centres after the application has been submitted or if you tick the 'On Line' box, an invoice will be emailed which can be paid via EFT, BPay, or using your credit card via phone or the Glenelg Shire Council website.
  3. A copy of the contractor’s current Certificate of Currency including Public Liability Insurance for up to $10 million.
  4. A plan of the proposed location and works including a reference to any IDM Standard Drawing being used. Council's adopted Infrastructure Design Manual provides information in Clause 6, on how plans should be prepared. For the IDM Standard Drawings, click on the 'Download the IDM' button and click on the IDM Standard Drawings button.

For simple works, engineers may accept a neat ‘to scale’ plan (click here(PDF, 556KB) for examples) with all key information including:

  • Offset measurements to reference the location of works.
  • All dimensions of work.
  • Any vegetation clearing and or in situ earth / table drain works.
  • Where possible, a reference to the IDM standard drawings to be used.

Council reserves the right to ask for the full IDM section 6 requirements if the extent of works is unclear.

Public Liability

Public Liability insurance ensures that the public are safe and liability for any accidents is covered by the person undertaking these construction works on your behalf. A minimum of $10 million worth of pubic liability cover is required.

Applicants are advised that proof of cover in the form of a Certificate of Currency is necessary before the application can be filled out on your behalf. We keep a Public Liability Register for this purpose to make things easier for repeat applicants. Each year a new Certificate of Currency must be supplied before any new applications can be lodged.

Vegetation Removal

Applications involving the removal of vegetation can be processed as Minor Works or Other Than Minor Works.
The application will be referred to the Planning Unit. A list of the species will be required, preferably with photos of the vegetation concerned.

Some protected species will require a planning permit for removal, but generally speaking vegetation removal, for the purposes of replacement of fencing, can take place up to 1 metre of the property boundary without a planning permit. For vehicle crossover access, up to 6 metres of vegetation can also be removed where there is no existing access point.

Where the works only involve the removal of vegetation, Glenelg Shire Council currently waives the Works Within Road Reserve application fees.

Arterial Road Access

For any access to your property from an arterial road (VicRoads managed), you must first apply for a 'Creation of Access' Planning Permit. If your property is within urban boundaries (i.e. within the 80kph urban speed zones), a Council Works Within Road Reserve consent application is also required after your planning permit has been issued.

A VicSmart permit may be possible and can be a quicker option. To do this, Download the VicSmart Planning Permit to your desktop from this link. For the application type, click on the button for ‘Buildings and works in special purpose zones’ leaving the box below blank. If you have had a pre-application meeting with a planner, enter the details of the meeting. If you need help with The Land details, contact Council's Planning Unit who can help you. For the Proposal you need to enter ‘Access to a transport zone category 1’ which is the technical term for the access to your property from an arterial road.

As part of the Planning Permit process, your application will be referred to any relevant authorities for consent, including VicRoads (currently know as the Department of Transport and Planning). They will communicate directly back to our Planning Unit with consent details and a standard drawing applicable to the property if required. As a guide, a culvert with drivable end walls are the minimum required for access.

Within urban areas, the Department of Transport and Planning is the Coordinating Authority and Council is the Responsible Authority for arterial roads. In these instances Council manage the nature strip, footpath and kerb & channelling between the arterial road and your property. On receipt of your Planning Permit, you will need to apply for Works Within Road Reserve consent as detailed above. As Planning Permit fees are required, in order to prevent the payment of fee upon fee, you can tick the ‘waiver’ request box in your Works Within Road Reserve application form.


The works manager may undertake reinstatement of affected infrastructure to Council standards. However, if Council Works Unit is requested to undertake the reinstatement a Private Works Order Form must be completed and signed by the customer.


The liability for the works lies with the listed contractor on the consent, therefore all works should be carried out as per the consent conditions and plans.

In the case where a contractor is unfamiliar with the IDM Standard Drawings used by Council, depending on the works, an inspection can be requested for advice.

Please contact the Works Within Road Reserve Administration Officer by calling (03) 5522 2200 or 1300 GLENELG or email, giving a minimum 24 hours notice.

Works Within Road Reserve - Documents

Glenelg Shire Council has adopted the Infrastructure Design Manual and associated standard drawings. The Infrastructure Design Manual is a living document and may be revised or amended from time to time.

Standard Drawings are also available through the IDM download webpage.
These include:

  • SD 235 - Retrofit Residential Vehicle Crossing.
  • SD 240 - New Residential Single Vehicle Crossing Detail.
  • SD 245 - New Residential Shared / Double Vehicle Crossing Detail.
  • SD 250 - New Industrial Vehicle Crossing Detail.
  • SD 255 - Typical Swale Drain Vehicle Crossing (Rural Entrance).
  • SD 260 - Typical Swale Drain Vehicle Crossing (Fringe Urban Residential Entrance).
  • SD 265 - Typical B Double Vehicle Crossing (Rural Entrance).
  • SD 310 - Trenching Backfill.