Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Works Within Road Reserve

A Works Within Road Reserve Permit must be obtained prior to any works being undertaken within Council road reserves.

This is to ensure that assets within road reserves are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out in the road reserve.

This permit is required if works are being undertaken within our road reserves such as:

• Stormwater Drainage and Pit Installations
• Vehicle Crossing Construction and Modification
• Footpath and Kerbing Replacement
• Water Supply and Sewer Connections
• Road Works

Permit Applicant

Permit applications are available at any Glenelg Shire Customer Service Centre or can be downloaded from the download section below.

The application submission should include the following documents:
1) Completed application form as attached including the proposed start and finished dates,
2) The payment, which can be made at any of our Customer Service Centres after the application has been submitted.
    Alternatively, on ticking the 'Account' box, an invoice will be emailed which can be paid via EFT, BPay
    or using our website Sundry Debtors portal.
3) A copy of the contractor’s current Certificate of Currency including Public Liability Insurance for up to $10 million
4) A plan of the proposed location and works including a reference to any IDM Standard Drawing being used.

For a more detailed description of the plan requirements, the engineers have listed the following:
Council's adopted Infrastructure Design Manual (found at provides information in Section 6, on how plans should be prepared .
For simple works, engineers may accept a neat ‘to scale’ plan with all key information including:
• offset measurements to reference the location of works,
• all dimensions of work,
• any vegetation clearing and or insitu earth / table drain works, and
• where possible, a reference to the IDM standard drawings to be used.

Council reserves the right to ask for the full IDM section 6 requirements if the extent of works is unclear.
Hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me using the below details.

Vegetation Removal

Applications involving the Removal of vegetation can be processed as Minor Works or Other Than Minor Works.

The application will be referred to the Planning Unit. A list of the species will be required, preferably with photos of the vegetation concerned. Some protected species will require a planning permit for removal, but generally speaking vegetation removal, for the purposes of replacement of fencing, can take place up to 1 metre of the property boundary without a planning permit. For vehicle crossover access, up to 6 metres of vegetation can also be removed where there is no existing access point.

Where the works involve soley removal of vegetation, Glenelg Shire Council currently waives the Works Within Road Reserve application fees.

Arterial Road Access

To access your property from an arterial road the applicant must apply for a Creation of Access Planning Permit before a Works Within Road Reserve application can be is submitted. The quicker processing permit called a VicSmart permit is possible. The application form is available on our Planning Permit webpage, by clicking the VicSmart link at the end of the first line under the ‘Miniumum Information Required’ section. The fee schedule can also be found under the same heading.

Download the form to your desktop. For the application type, click on the button for ‘Buildings and works in special purpose zones’ leaving the box below blank. If you have had a pre-application meeting with a planner, enter the details of the meeting. If you need help with The Land details, contact me or the Planning Unit who can help you. For the Proposal you need to enter ‘Access to a road zone category 1’ which is the technical term for the access to your property from an arterial road.

As part of the Planning Permit process, your application will be referred to any relevant authorities for consent, including the Department of Transport. They will communicate directly back to our Planning Unit with consent details and a standard drawing applicable to the property if required.

As a standard, a culvert and drivable end walls are required for access.

Council is the responsible authority for the nature strip, footpath and kerb & channelling between the arterial road and your property. On receipt of your Planning Permit, you will need to apply for a Works Within Road Reserve consent as detailed above. As Planning Permit fees are required, in order to prevent the payment of fee upon fee, we allow you to tick the ‘waiver’ request box in your Works Within Road Reserve application form.

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability insurance ensures that the public are safe and liability for any accidents is covered by the person undertaking these construction works on your behalf. A minimum of $10 million worth of pubic liability cover is required. Applicants are advised that proof of cover in the form of a Certificate of Currency is necessary before the application can be filled out on your behalf. We keep a Public Liability Register for this purpose to make things easier for repeat applicants. Each year a new Certificate of Currency must be supplied before any new applications can be lodged.


Each permit is assessed on the requirements of the job, depending on location, type of work, etc. The Permit Fee must be paid at the time of application. Click here to download a pdf version of the current fees - refer to the last page.


The works manager may undertake reinstatement of affected infrastructure to Council standards. However, if Council Works Unit is requested to undertake the reinstatement a private works order form must be completed and signed by the customer.


As the liability for the works lies with the listed contractor on the consent, all works should be carried out as per the consent conditions and plans. In the case where a contractor is unfamiliar with the IDM Standard Drawings used by Council, depending on the works, an inspection can be requested for advice. Please contact the Works Within Road Reserve Administration Officer our by calling (03) 5522 2200 or 1300 GLENELG or email, giving a minimum 24 hours notice.

Works Within Road Reserve - Documents

Glenelg Shire Council has adopted the Infrastructure Design Manual and associated standard drawings.
The Infrastructure Design Manual is a living document and may be revised or amended from time to time.

Standard Drawings are also available through the IDM download webpage or via the following link:
IDM Standard Drawings Version 5.3 including: -
SD 235 - Retrofit Residential Vehicle Crossing
SD 240 - New Residential Single Vehicle Crossing Detail
SD 245 - New Residential Shared / Double Vehicle Crossing Detail
SD 250 - New Industrial Vehicle Crossing Detail
SD 255 - Typical Swale Drain Vehicle Crossing (Rural Entrance)
SD 260 - Typical Swale Drain Vehicle Crossing (Fringe Urban Residential Entrance)\
SD 265 - Typical B Double Vehicle Crossing (Rural Entrance)
SD 310 - Trenching Backfill

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by