Extreme heat or heatwave is a period of unusual and uncomfortable hot weather that could negatively affect human health. Extreme heat can also affect community infrastructure (such as power supply and public transport) and other services. Extreme heat can affect everyone, however some people are more vulnerable.

Victoria assists with planning for extreme heat and heatwaves, and supports research.

Heat Health Alerts

The Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has identified the temperature thresholds in Victoria where heat related illnesses increase substantially. The mean threshold temperature for the South West weather district is 30°C.

The mean threshold is determined where the average of the daily maximum temperature and the overnight minimum temperature of the following day is calculated at 30°C or greater.

The DHHS Chief Health Officer of Victoria will issue a heat health alert to organisations including local governments when the Bureau of Meteorology predicts temperature thresholds will be reached or exceeded.

You can personally receive a heat health alert notification from DHHS via email when you subscribe to the heat health alert system.


What does Glenelg Shire Council do when a heat health alert has been issued?

We have an Extreme Heat Sub Plan(PDF, 647KB) . The plan includes notifying service providers, agencies and community groups/organisations that interact with people who may be vulnerable to heat-related illnesses when a heat health alert has been issued.


Dealing With Extreme Heat And Heatwaves

Exposure to extreme heat can cause heat exhaustion, heat stroke, and sometimes death. The most important things to do during periods of extreme heat are:

  • Keep cool.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Stay out of the sun.
  • Look after yourself and others.
  • Make sure your pets receive plenty of clean, fresh water and have somewhere cool and shady to rest during high temperatures.



Health Concerns

If you are concerned that someone may be suffering a heat-related illness, encourage them to see their doctor or call an ambulance on 000 or 106 for people with a hearing or speech problem.

You may also call Nurse-on-Call on 1300 606 024 for 24 hour health advice.