Council prepares a new Health and Wellbeing Plan after each election, in consultation with the community, and in partnership with other key health organisations. The purpose of the plan is to identify goals (what we want to achieve) and strategies (how we will achieve them), in partnership with other health and wellbeing agencies across the shire, based on available evidence, for creating a local community in which people are healthy and happy.
People of the Glenelg Shire had the opportunity to raise issues they care about and contribute ideas for Council and its partners to consider as a part of the plan. Some of the issues include:
- GP services diminishing in Heywood and other small towns in the shire.
- Support for tracks and trails across the shire to promote physical activity.
- Support for Bush Nursing facilities.
- Importance of safe road networks in accessing services.
- Suicide and mental health issues in small towns.
At the Council meeting held on 26 October 2021, Council adopted the Municipal Health and Wellbeing Plan 2021-2025.