Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Building Services

The Glenelg Shire Council provides Building Services such as issuing building permits, occupancy permits, final inspection certificates, carrying out mandatory building inspections, contract building inspections, enforcement (Building Notices & Orders), essential safety measure inspections, place of public entertainment occupancy permits, and technical advice in accordance with the Building Regulations, Building Act 1993 and Building Code of Australia.

Building Services Staff

Wayne Wilkie, Municipal Building Surveyor BSU 1164
Works Monday and Tuesdays Telephone 03 5522 2216

Adam Manson, Assistant Building Surveyor IN-U 41148
Works Mondays and Thursdays Telephone 03 5522 2216

Ben Griffith, Building Inspector IN-U 40549
Works Tuesday to Friday Telephone 03 5522 2216

Tim Mast, Cadet Building Inspector
Works Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays Telephone 03 5522 2216

Janelle Hoggan, Administration Officer
Works Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays Telephone 03 5522 2216

Will Chapman, Administration Officer
Works Thursday and Friday Telephone 03 5522 2216

Do you require a Planning and a Building Permit?
Planning and Building Permits are different permits and have different purposes. A Planning Permit may not always be needed where a building permit is generally always required when constructing, altering, extending or demolishing a building.

A Planning Permit is for the development and use of the property and any construction. A Building Permit looks at and assesses the structural component of the construction.

It is highly recommended that you contact both the Building and Planning departments prior to commencing any building works to ensure that you get the correct information about whether a permit is required or not, do not rely on friends, family or neighbours for this advice.
Building Department 03 5522 2216
Planning Department 03 5522 2187

If a Planning is required, the Planning Permit has to be issued before the building permit can be issued. Applications for both Planning and Building permits can be applied for at the same time and assessed concurrently.

Asbestos is a fibrous material that has been used in the building industry over many years. The use of this material has now stopped and its removal is often required during development or renovation work.

Council does not have the power to investigate or enforce any breaches of legislation regarding the removal and disposal of asbestos. There are government bodies that do control these matters and they are EPA (Environment Pollution Authority) Victoria and Victorian WorkCover Authority (WorkSafe).

EPA Victoria
EPA Victoria has produced a document regarding the transport and disposal of waste asbestos. This document outlines the method and procedures for transporting and disposal of asbestos. They also control and list the licensed premises to accept waste asbestos.

WorkCover handles the registration of approved people to transport and dispose of waste asbestos. They also control the working conditions for building sites while asbestos is being removed from a building and the site. This is mainly to deal with Occupation Health and Safety (OHS).

See the link below Asbestos - A guide for householders and the general public for more helpful information about Asbestos.

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by