In 1889 the Portland Battery was constructed and was intended as a defence against a feared invasion from Russia. It is part of the Glenelg Shire Cultural Collection and on the threshold of national significance. During the same period batteries were also built at Port Fairy and Warrnambool. The surrounding site is open to visitors but safety and stability issues have restricted public access to the inside of the battery. Supported by the Australia Government’s Culture, Heritage and Arts Regional Tourism (CHART) Program, a virtual tour of the underground magazine and the lamp passage has been developed. Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum and the Warrnambool Garrison generously assisted with information and costumed militia. Please enjoy this tour.
Portland Historic Battery, 20 Victoria Parade, Portland. 3305. See us on Google Maps.