Financial Hardship and Payment Arrangements

What if I cannot pay my rates?

Ratepayers can apply to Council for assistance relating to any unpaid rates or other charges, under Council's Financial Hardship Policy.

The following rates assistance measures are available:

  • Special Payment Arrangements
  • Centrepay option

Please contact Council's Rates Department on (03) 5522 2210 for further information.

Special Payment Arrangements

If you are having difficulties paying your rates, please contact the Rate Unit immediately on 03 5522 2210 or email to discuss alternative arrangements.


Alternatively, the Special Payment Arrangement for Rates and Levies form(PDF, 132KB) may be completed and forwarded to the Rate Unit for approval.


All enquiries are treated confidentially, and early communication from you may help prevent the commencement of costly legal action for the recovery of outstanding rates.  

Applying for Special Payment Arrangements

Step 1.Download and print the Special Payment Arrangement Form

You can download and print a copy here(PDF, 132KB) .

Step 2.Return the completed form

You can return the completed form:

In Person: You can return the completed from to any of our Customer Service Centres.

Via email: Please send through your completed form to:

Mail: Post the form to:

Glenelg Shire Council,

PO Box 152

Portland  VIC 3305


Step 1.Before you start

You will need the following personal information:

  • Your Centrelink Reference number
  • The amount you wish to pay each fortnight
  • The Centrelink payment you wish this amount to be deducted from
  • The date you wish the deductions to commence
  • The date you wish the deductions to end

You will also require the following Council information:

  • Your Assessment number from your Rates notice
  • The name of the business you are paying - Glenelg Shire Council
  • Council's business address, phone number and Customer Reference Number (CRN)

Address: 56 Percy Street Portland

Phone Number: 1300 453 653

CRN: 555024826J

Step 2.Setup Centrepay Deductions

When you have these details you can set up your Centrepay deduction in one of the following ways:

  • Online using your Centrelink online account through myGov
  • Using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
  • At a service centre with help from staff
  • By calling Centrelink on your regular payment number