Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

Eligibility for this program is based on your level of needs and your age. 
To be eligible for this program, you must be aged:
  • 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people), or
  • 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) and on a low income, homeless, or at risk of being homeless.
  • Check if you meet the requirements for an assessment or if you are ready, apply for an assessment now.

CHSP helps senior Australians access entry-level support services to enable living at home independently and safely and works with you to maintain your independence rather than doing things for you. 

Our Support Workers will work with you to recognise and manage tasks that require assistance whilst actively encouraging independence. We will assist you in achieving your desired care plan goals and will support and encourage independence by following a Wellness and Reablement/ Active Service Model approach.

How it works

To find out if you are eligible and to register for CHSP services, you need to follow these steps:

Step 1.Contact My Aged Care

To get started, you will need to contact My Aged Care. You can do this through the My Aged Care website or the national contact centre, which will provide information about the services available and help you assess which services you might require.
You will need your Medicare Card handy for this.

The national contact centre can be reached on 1800 200 422 between 8 am - 8 pm Monday – Friday, and 10 am - 2 pm on Saturdays.

Step 2.Get Assessed

After you contact My Aged Care, an assessment will be arranged with a qualified officer to identify your needs based on a national framework.

Step 3.Start Your Services

Once assessed, a referral will be made for the services you require. Please be aware that sometimes services are placed on a wait list with a level of priority. If you are placed on our wait list we will contact you to let you know the expected wait time. 

If your referral is accepted by Glenelg Shire Council, we will contact you to arrange your services to begin.


Get started with My Aged Care!