Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council


Hairdressing procedures can lead to infection if appropriate care is not taken by the operator. The operator must ensure that they do not puncture the skin with any item such as scissors, razors, combs, clippers and/or hairpins. Operators should also ensure that all of these items are cleansed in accordance as prescribed in the Department of Health guidelines. Operators should also ask their client if they have any skin lesions that they should be aware of so appropriate care can be taken.

Hairdressing establishments are required to be registered with the Council. Please refer to the Registered Premises page for further information.

For the guidelines and procedures that your body art establishment should follow, please read the General Requirements, Risk Management and Hairdressing section of the Health guidelines for personal care and body art industries.

For client information on hairdressing procedures, please select the link below.


For information regarding Head Lice, please visit the Infectious Disease Control pages within this site.

Registration requirements for Hairdressing and Low Risk Beauty Therapy

From 1 March 2016, eligible businesses – those that solely provide hairdressing and/or low risk beauty therapy services at their premises – are able to apply for "on-going" registration.

Low risk beauty therapy is defined as the application of cosmetics that does not involve skin penetration or tattooing and includes the application of the following:

1. temporary make up;
2. henna tattoos;
3. spray tans; and
4. eyelash and eyebrow tinting.

Hairdressing services include:

1. cutting hair with scissors or razors; and
2. colouring and styling hair.

Proprietors of businesses that offer these services are eligible to apply for on-going registration.

Proprietors of the following hairdressing and low risk beauty therapy business premises (with an ongoing registration) are required to re-apply for a new business registration:

1. proprietors of new businesses;
2. proprietors whose business premises moves location; or
3. proprietors that transfer their business to a third party.

These proprietors will make an application, accompanied by an on-going application fee, with their council for the new on-going business premises registration. Councils will then issue these businesses with a new on-going certificate of registration. In the case of businesses that transfer to a third party, the on-going certificate of registration will be issued to the new business owner.

Powered by