Glenelg Shire logo
Skip Links


Welcome to the Glenelg Shire Council

Works Within Road Reserve

A Works Within Road Reserve Permit must be obtained prior to any works being undertaken within Council road reserves.

This is to ensure that assets within road reserves are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out in the road reserve.

This permit is required if works are being undertaken within our road reserves such as:

• Stormwater Drainage and Pit Installations
• Vehicle Crossing Construction and Modification
• Footpath and Kerbing Replacement
• Water Supply and Sewer Connections
• Road Works

Permit Applicant

Permit applications are available at any Glenelg Shire Customer Service Centre or can be downloaded from the download section below.

The application submission should include the following documents:
1) Completed application form as attached including the proposed start and finished dates,
2) The payment, which can be made at any of our Customer Service Centres after the application has been submitted.
    Alternatively, on ticking the 'Account' box, an invoice will be emailed which can be paid via EFT, BPay
    or using our website Sundry Debtors portal.
3) A copy of the contractor’s current Certificate of Currency including Public Liability Insurance for up to $10 million
4) A plan of the proposed location and works including a reference to any IDM Standard Drawing being used.

For a more detailed description of the plan requirements, the engineers have listed the following:
Council's adopted Infrastructure Design Manual (found at provides information in Section 6, on how plans should be prepared .
For simple works, engineers may accept a neat ‘to scale’ plan with all key information including:
• offset measurements to reference the location of works,
• all dimensions of work,
• any vegetation clearing and or insitu earth / table drain works, and
• where possible, a reference to the IDM standard drawings to be used.

Council reserves the right to ask for the full IDM section 6 requirements if the extent of works is unclear.
Hope this is helpful. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me using the below details.

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability insurance ensures that the public are safe and liability for any accidents is covered by the person undertaking these construction works on your behalf. A minimum of $10 million worth of pubic liability cover is required. Applicants are advised that proof of cover in the form of a Certificate of Currency is necessary before the application can be filled out on your behalf. We keep a Public Liability Register for this purpose to make things easier for repeat applicants. Each year a new Certificate of Currency must be supplied before any new applications can be lodged.


Each permit is assessed on the requirements of the job, depending on location, type of work, etc. The Permit Fee must be paid at the time of application.


The works manager may undertake reinstatement of affected infrastructure to Council standards. However, if Council Works Unit is requested to undertake the reinstatement a private works order form must be completed and signed by the customer.


Depending on the works, if you require an inspection, please contact the Works Within Road Reserve Administration Officer our by calling (03) 5522 2200 or 1300 GLENELG or email, giving a minimum 24 hours notice.

Works Within Road Reserve - Documents

Glenelg Shire Council has adopted the Infrastructure Design Manual and associated standard drawings.
The Infrastructure Design Manual is a living document and may be revised or amended from time to time.

Standard Drawings are also available through the IDM download webpage or via the following link:
IDM Standard Drawings Version 5.3 including: -
SD 235 - Retrofit Residential Vehicle Crossing
SD 240 - New Residential Single Vehicle Crossing Detail
SD 245 - New Residential Shared / Double Vehicle Crossing Detail
SD 250 - New Industrial Vehicle Crossing Detail
SD 255 - Typical Swale Drain Vehicle Crossing (Rural Entrance)
SD 260 - Typical Swale Drain Vehicle Crossing (Fringe Urban Residential Entrance)\
SD 265 - Typical B Double Vehicle Crossing (Rural Entrance)
SD 310 - Trenching Backfill

subscribe Latest Updates by Email Sign Up Now
Powered by